What’s even worse is that there was no way I could call any HVAC professionals to come fix the furnace before morning.
When my mother in law gave me a portable space heater for my birthday last month, I didn’t know what to do with it. It was one of those gifts that I didn’t ask for, nor had I ever mentioned needing extra heat in my house. At the moment, I’d wished that she’d gotten me a gift card instead. Even if the gift card was to a store I didn’t love, I could at least choose something for myself. Last week though, I was eternally grateful for that space heater. We had a terrible storm with flash flooding and temperatures in the low fifties. During the middle of the night, I could see the lightning illuminating the sky outside my window. The rain was coming down so hard that I thought it was going to make my roof cave! As if that wasn’t enough, I felt the air become colder and colder. I escaped the warmth of my blankets to find the thermostat. When I went to change the temperature to something warmer, I noticed that my thermostat said it was 53 degrees inside, even though it was programmed to 69 degrees! Instantly, I knew that my furnace went out. What’s even worse is that there was no way I could call any HVAC professionals to come fix the furnace before morning. As I was stacking all the blankets I owned on top of me, I remembered the portable space heater from my mother in law. I ripped it out of the box and plugged it in beside my bed. I don’t know what I was expecting, but I was amazed at how warm I felt after only a few minutes.